10 years ago today I had a nervous breakdown in a nail salon, picked a fight with my betrothed, did a shot and quietly mumbled my way through my wedding ceremony. Don’t get me wrong I was overjoyed to be marrying my husband; I just wanted to do it privately. I didn’t want anyone else to witness something so important to me, but I’m kooky and slightly neurotic. FINE! I’m completely neurotic.
You have to understand, I never dreamed about having a wedding. In fact, I wasn’t totally sure I was going to get married. But then I met "him" and my world was overturned faster than a Jersey housewife flips a table. Our courtship was the stuff movies are made of and although I poured my heart out privately all I could muster on our wedding day was, “ditto.” I couldn’t get out of my own way long enough to tell the love of my life everything I’d written to him.
I thought about sharing my vows here but they still seem too personal. But since it’s been 10 years and we’ve grown as a couple, here’s an updated version:
- I still promise I won’t cook.
- I promise I can’t fix it. If it plugs in, needs batteries or a trip to the ER, it's all you.
- I promise I will NEVER like football. However, I will give zombies and Cold War movies a chance so I can spend more time with you.
- I promise to always let you know how happy I am to see you when you walk through the door.
- I promise to try not to speak in “thingy.”
- I promise to always love your “thingy.”
- I promise to laugh with you, a lot.
- I promise I'd never do this with anyone but you.
**Happy 10 year anniversary, my love. I’m better when you’re around.